I have been involved in Sudan for 10 years and I have seen many victories and defeats in this time. Tomorrow is a monumental day in the history of Sudan. Here are several thoughts and ways that you can pray for the beautiful Sudanese.
1. It is a foregone conclusion the South will vote for independence. Please pray that violence would not break out during the next six months. Even with the vote, it will not go into effect until July. Therefore, THE NEXT SIX MONTHS ARE CRITICAL.
2. Pray for the North. Many believers and also many Southern Sudanese live in the North. Pray against any type of persecution. Also, pray for the souls of all the Northern Sudanese. One thing that many people forget is the North. THIS CAN’T HAPPEN! Every man is created in the image of God. Therefore, our burden for the North must be immense.
3. Even in the face of Southern independence it is important to remember the North would be an immediate neighbor of the South. Please pray for working relations that would promote peace.
4. Both the North and the South have big obstacles to overcome internally. It is a viable option for different rebel groups to try and overthrow the government. Please pray this does not happen and that a modern day Somalia does not come to fruition.
5. Pray for a profound work of nation building to happen in the North and the South. It will take a variety of areas of expertise to help in this process. This can be an incredibly exciting time for Sudan and the Sudanese people. Please pray the Lord awakens the hearts of people to invest in the needed areas.
6. Please pray for the marginalized. The orphans, widows, and destitute have the attention of God in a profound way (James 1:27) and should have ours. One of my friends, Adam Thomason, is the founder of Collision Records. He produced a song with Swoope, Jai, Lecrae, Tedashii, and John Piper that helps to bring attention to the brilliant people of Sudan. If you go to iTunes and download the song, 100% of the proceeds will go to build the fourth orphanage. Also, if you are interested, you can give directly to the orphanage here.